So this cake came about when I was feeling a little bit sorry for myself, and needed something scrummy to have with a nice cup of tea. It’s so unbelievably easy to make, and even yummier to eat! The prep time is only about 10-15 minutes, and it takes less than an hour to cook. So you could pop it in the oven and then have a lovely bath while you wait for it to cook!
What you will need:
Mixing bowl x 2 (you will split the mixture into two halves later)
Electric whisk or metal spoon*
8oz caster sugar
4 medium eggs
8oz self-raising flour
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Heat oven to 180C/Gas 160/gas mark 4.
Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. I am a firm believer in the all in one method, so if you are similar to me, pop all the ingredients except the cocoa into a mixing bowl and combine. You can use an electric whisk if you are lazy like me, or be a badass and do it by hand.
(If you are a bit more careful and would prefer not to pop all the ingredients at once, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time making sure they’re well mixed. Add the milk and vanilla extract, then fold in the flour.)
Whichever method you choose, make sure your mixture is smooth.
3. Divide the mixture between 2 bowls.
Stir the cocoa into one of the mixtures until nicely combined.
4. Take 2 spoons and dollop the vanilla mixture and cocoa mixture into the cake tin alternately. When you have used up all your mixture, tap the bottom of the cake tin on your work surface. This makes sure your mixture evenly covers the bottom of the tin, as well as getting rid of any air bubbles.
5. Use a skewer and swirl it around your mixture, this will create a marbled effect.
6. Bake your cake for 45-55 minutes. When you think it’s done, pop your skewer in the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean, it’s ready! Quick, pop it on a rack so it cools and you can eat it! Nom.
I really hope you enjoy this recipe and if you’d like me to post more please comment and I will be super happy to!!
Love Sophie xxx