Hi everyone! I made some scrummy cakes a couple of days ago so thought I would share my recipe!
Butterfly cakes are really easy and lovely to make if you have friends popping round for a brew and a catch up. I quite casually threw these ingredients together and the result was lovely fluffy cakes, the banana and chocolate really compliment each other and the caramel buttercream is mild, not overpowering! You could choose another flavour buttercream, just add a different flavouring!
This recipe makes 14 butterfly cakes.
You will need:
For the cakes:
6oz caster sugar
6oz self raising flour
1oz cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 large banana (mashed)
For the buttercream:
4oz sieved icing sugar
2oz margarine or butter
1 tsp caramel flavouring
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, 350 Fahrenheit, gas mark 4.
- Line your muffin/cake tray with cake cases as pretty as you like.
- Cream the sugar and margarine together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing all the time with an electric hand whisk or by hand.
- In a separate bowl add the sieved flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture until fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake cases then bake for around 20 minutes or until firm.
- Once the cakes are cool, use a knife to cut a slice off the top of each cake; cut the slice in half.
- Make the buttercream by creaming the margarine, adding the caramel flavouring while mixing. Slowly mix in the sieved icing sugar and stir until all the buttercream is smooth.
- Use a teaspoon and spoon buttercream onto each cake and arrange the wings on top. Dust with icing sugar to decorate.
Perfect with a lovely cup of tea!
Hope you enjoy this recipe, I’m going to include lots of recipes as baking is truly a love of mine!
If you have any favourite recipes I would love to see them and give them a go!